Radiography, Medical Imaging, Radiation Science, MRI, Sonography
Medical Imaging, Radiation Science, Radiography, MRI, Sonography courses at undergraduate bachelor, postgraduate diploma master, Ph.D doctorate research degree levels in Australian universities are listed here. You will find it useful if you are keen on Radiographer or X Ray technical officer related jobs. Be aware as well that in recent years the number applications for Radiography courses had risen resulting in higher entrance requirements ( ATAR ) As well, job vacancies for graduates are not as plentiful as it used to be. For other degree courses, click HOME.
- Besides ATAR, what prerequisite subjects must I complete at HSC Year 12 ?
- Where can I study to be a Radiographer or Sonographer ?
- Which uni offers Medical Imaging, Radiography, Sonography or MRI courses ?
- What do Radiographers, Sonographers or MRI technicians do?
- Basically, a radiographer is a technical officer who takes X-Ray pictures for medical investigation. Skill is necessary to determine optimum angle, appropriate radiation dosage as per specifications of the doctor ordering the X Ray.
- The list below focuses primarily on Radiography imaging. Universities that offer Radiography courses often offer advance imaging courses such as Magnetic Resonance Imaging or Sonography. Note that Radiology is not the same as Radiography.
- Radiation Therapist technicians assist doctors in administering ionizing radiation to destroy cancers cells in radiotherapy.
- Similarly, Sonographers take sonar pictures of body’s interior using non ionizing Ultrasonic waves. MRI uses powerful magnetic fields ( non ionizing) and is excellent for images of soft tissues ( not bones ).
- Nuclear medicine professionals handles dangerous radioactive materials for diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
- Bachelor university degrees in Radiography or Radiation science will offer grads employment opportunities in Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy ( radiation oncology) and diagnostics as a Radiographer or Radiation Therapist. (If you wish to pursue a career in Nuclear Medicine, please be aware there are very limited job openings in this specialised field within the Australian economy under current conditions. Job prospects are probably much better for Radiography and Medical Imaging and Radiation Therapy. Please seek proper advice from relevant people in the industry to confirm this.
Radiation diagnostics often necessitates using X-Rays to determine the cause and extent of illness and injuries. Radiation Therapy involves the use of radiation from radioactive materials and / or X rays to treat cancers and tumors. To discover how you can use Australian degree in Radiography to work as a registered Radiographer, go here. The next step in career progression is employment in Ultrasound Sonography ( role = Sonographer ) and MRI ( Magnetic Resonance Imaging). Specialized areas like these are available as post graduate courses.
Radiography is not Radiology. Radiologists are medical professionals with a degree in medicine and further post graduate qualifications that allow them to specialize in Radiology. A Radiologist will examine X-Ray pictures, analyse and interpret them and make subsequent recommendations as to the nature of the problem and treatment options. A Radiographer generally is concerned with deciding the type of X Ray machine and takes the best picture from the optimum angle, less with image interpretation.
Typical admission requirements for Radiography, Sonograhy :
- Physics, Maths, Biology, English proficiency
New South Wales: NSW
- Courses at Charles Sturt University : CSU
Bach of Medical Radiation Science ( with specialisations )
Bach. of Medical Radiation Science ( Nuclear Medicine )
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science ( Medical Imaging )
- Postgraduate Diploma of Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Postgraduate Diploma of Computerized Tomagraphy
Postgraduate Diploma of Medical Radiation Science
Postgraduate Diploma of Radiographic Interpretation
- Postgraduate Diploma of Medical Ultrasound
Master of Medical Radiation Science (Computerised Tomography CT)
Master of Medical Radiation Science (Magnetic Resonance Imaging MRI )
Master of Medical Radiation Science (Radiographic Interpretation)
Master of Medical Radiation Science – by course work or research
Master of Medical Radiation Science (Nuclear Medicine)
Master of Medical Ultrasound
- Medical Radiation Science courses at University of Newcastle
- Medical Radiation science courses at University of Sydney
- Medical and Radiation Science degree at University of Wollongong : UOW
Queensland : QLD
- Medical Radiation Sciences at Queensland University of Technology : QUT
- Bachelor Medical Sonography and GD Medical Sonography at Central Queensland University CQU
- Radiotherapy, Medical Imaging and Ultrasound Graduate Certificate / Graduate Diploma at QUT
Victoria : Vic
- Master of Medical Radiations at Monash University
- - entry into the Radiation Therapy and Medical Ultrasound ( Sonography) professions
- distance education options available
- Bachelor of Radiography and Medical Imaging course at Monash University
- Programs and Courses in Medical Radiations, Songography, Nuclear Medicine at Monash University
Tasmania : TAS
- Bachelor of Health Science / Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science – Medical Imaging @University of Tasmania : UTAS
South Australia : SA
- Bachelor of Medical Radiation science at University of South Australia : UNISA
- Graduate Diploma in Medical Sonography at UNISA
Other Useful links
For degree courses other than medical-imaging, radiography, mri, sonography ultrasound in universities, click HOME