medicine, medical degree course
There are several models related to physician training in Australia. An undergrad-entry program typically last 5 or 6 years and requires secondary school matriculation. Candidates are usually assessed by a combination of secondary school leaving certificate performance, UMAT score and an interview.
- Where can you study to be a physician or medical doctor ?
- Besides ATAR, which prerequisite subjects must be attained at Year 12 HSC ?
- Australia is home to several Nobel prize winners in medicine.
- A commonly employed selection test is the GAMSAT .
- A university degree in Medicine or Medical Degree is the first step to a good career in the medical, Health Care and Hospital industry and offers excellent employment opportunities as a doctor, medical officer, physician, surgeon, specialist, medico or medical pathologist alongside nursing staff.
- Grad medical programs typically last 4 years, and requires the applicant to have obtained an earlier bachelor degree qualification at a certain level of achievement in addition to aptitude tests and interviews.
- Medicine courses at undergrad bachelor, post grad diploma master, PhD doctorate research degree levels at universities in Australia are listed below. For more courses, look here.
Most Australian medical schools confer MB BS degrees on completion of a medicine course. The University of Newcastle confers a B Med. This qualification is equivalent to MBBS, any BMed graduate may practice in any field of Medicine of their own choice including surgery. In Australia, Doctor of Medicine (MD) is an advanced research degree requiring two years’ full time enrolment, compared to a PhD which requires 3 years’ full time enrollment. Off-shore Medical Student’s Guide .
Typical admission requirements for Medicine degree:
- Chemistry, Biology, Maths, English proficiency
* Some unis may require completion of a bachelor degree as a prerequisite to admission into medicine.
Medicine is available at these universities:
Victoria : VIC
- Medicine courses at Monash Uni
- Bachelor Medicine programs at Univ of Melbourne
- Medicine degree at James Cook University: JCU
- Medicine at Griffith Uni
- Medicine at University of Queensland : UQ
- Medicine at Deakin Univ
New South Wales : NSW
- Bachelor of Medicine courses @Uni of Newcastle
- Medicine at Uni of Sydney
- Medicine degree at University of New South Wales : UNSW
- Medical studies at Univ of Western Sydney : UWS
- School of Rural Medicine at Univ of New England : UNE
Western Australia : WA
- Medicine & Dentistry course at University of Western Australia : UWA
Tasmania : TAS
- Medical degrees at University of Tasmania : UTAS
South Australia : SA
- School of Medicine at University of Notre Dame, Sydney campus
Australian Capital Territory : ACT
- Medical school at Australian National University : ANU
For courses other than Medicine, have a look here