dietetics, nutritional science courses
Are you the enlightened enough to know food is the best medicine and prevention is better than cure …. perhaps you like to think about studying Nutrition, Nutritional science or Dietetics courses at undergrad bachelor, postgrad diploma master, PhD degree levels at Australian universities might interest you. For other degree courses, click HOME ?
- Where can I study to be a Dietician or Nutritionist ?
- What do Dietitians or Nutritionists do ?
- Besides ATAR, what prerequisite subjects must I complete at Year 12 HSC ?
- Unlike conventional medicine that focuses on ILLNESS and treating symptoms, Nutrition and Dietetics aims for WELLNESS and prevention of future illness by treating causes. The strategy is preventative in nature.
- Dietitians and Nutritionists provide food related advice to people who are either unknowingly or knowingly malnourished, recovering from illness in hospital or at home for the purpose of restoring family health.
- Which uni offer online Nutrition or Dietetic science via distance learning ?
- Doctors often like to spout the ancient adage, ” Prevention is better than cure “, yet the average ( non wholistic) doctor knows little about vitamins, minerals and nutritional principals. If not for this lack of knowledge, nutritionist and dieticians will have few jobs.
Such courses offer good employment opportunities in health care, fitness, food and nutrition industries as a dietitian /dietician, nutritionist in hospitals & clinics.
A minority of enlightened doctors and nurses realize the typical medical or nursing degree omit teaching much about the value of food and nutrition in wellness and healing. Consequently they choose to do additional study for a Bachelor in Nutrition to broaden their knowledge and understanding of the role of food, nutrition in wellness, healing and health maintenance.Why the world needs Nutritionists, medical doctors are just not enough ….
Anecdotal evidence suggest many doctors ignore or are ignorant of the vital role food & nutrition play in wellness. Such doctors are illness focused and almost exclusively use drugs and drastic surgical procedures to ‘cure’ diseases …. Naturopaths, Nutritionists and dieticians, being wholistic, have an alternate perspective and stress the importance of food in wellness and healing.
Like Traditional Chinese medicine, dieticians and nutritionist also believe that FOOD IS the BEST MEDICINE. Nutrition science and Dietetics may sometimes be offered under a Bachelor of Health Science degree course.
If you seek advice on effects of food on health, perhaps it’s better to consult a nutritionist or dietician not a person with just a plain old medical degree.
What’s the difference between a nutritionist and a dietitian ( dietician) ?
Nutritionists study for at least 3 years at university (which typically doesn’t include a 6 month practical stage) compared to Dietitian who generally trains for 4 to 5 years at uni (inclusive of practical component of at least 6 months). An exception would be for an academic/ research nutritionist, who may have a doctorate or masters in nutritional research.
Typical admission requirements for Nutrition science, Dietetics:
- Biology and/or Chemistry, English proficiency
New South Wales : NSW
- Nutrition and dietetics degree courses - Uni of Newcastle
- Bachelor of Health Science – Nutrition & Dietetics at Charles Sturt University
- Bachelor of Exercise Science and Nutrition at Southern Cross University: SCU
- Bachelor of Medical & Health Sciences at University of Wollongong : UOW
- Bach of Science course – Nutrition & Dietetics : University of Sydney
Victoria : VIC
- School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences at Deakin University
- Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics at Monash University
Queensland : QLD
- Bachelor of Public Health (Nutrition) courses at Griffith University
- Nutrition & Dietetics degree course: Queensland University of Technology: QUT
- Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics: University of the Sunshine Coast: USC
- Nutrition degree course at James Cook University: JCU
Western Australia : WA
- Bachelor of Science (Nutrition) / Dietetics at Curtin University of Technology
Tasmania offering : TAS
- Nutrition & Dietetics courses at University of Tasmania : UTAS
South Australia : SA
- Bachelor of Nutrition Food Sciences course Uni of South Australia : UNISA
- Nutrition and Dietetics degree courses at Flinders University
For more degree courses other than dietetics, nutritional science, nutrition at Australian universities, click HOME.