teaching, education, teacher training post graduate
The minimum Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) necessary for admission to an Education degree course declined sharply in 2014 by 20 points at one university according to latest admission data. This means for that year, it was easier to gain entry into a teaching degree. Teaching is a career that enables one to pursue many challenging and rewarding roles. As a most respectable choice of employment, it provides a range of work options both abroad and within Australia.
With recent government pledges totaling $9.8 billion to schools over the next 6 years and some $1 billion investment in early childhood education, it’s an excellent time to get a role in teaching. Education, teacher training and Early Childhood Education courses at post grad diploma, certificate, undergrad bachelor, master, Ph.D level degree at universities in Australia are listed below. For other degree courses at universities, click on HOME.
- I have a non Education bachelor degree, is it possible for me to get into teaching ?
- Besides ATAR, what prerequisite subjects must I acquire at HSC Year 12?
- Which Australian universities can I apply to for an online distance education degree or postgrad diploma course in Education, Teaching ?
- I’ve a 3 or 4 year non-Education degree, how can I convert it to qualify as a teacher ?
- In 2013, 4 year trained teachers start at $59,706. Salary increases are by annual increments subject to satisfactory performance, with our most experienced classroom teachers earning $89,050.
- A bachelor degree in Education or Teaching offers university grads excellent employment opportunities as teachers in education / teaching / training industry in private and public schools at pre-school primary and secondary level.
- Is it better to take a 4 year Education degree or enhance a non Education degree with a post grad teaching diploma ( 9 month or 12 month ) ?
- What can I study to be a school teacher in early childhood education ?
- Masters degree in Education and distance learning courses are other options
- Teachers typically teach subjects like Arithmetic, Mathematics, Science, IT, Physics, Chemistry Biology, English, Foreign languages, History, Geography, Arts, Physical Education, Home Economics, Wood work, metal work, Music, Agriculture etc
- Do not worry about getting stuck with one subject. Having a degree in Physics doesn’t mean Physics is all you are allowed to teach for the rest of your working life. Many ” further training ” and ” self development ” courses are available to help you qualify to teach a different subject for which you did not study at Uni , Eg. a Chemistry grad may take further courses and expand his teaching repertoire to include Biology or Maths, or a Music grad may teach English, Physical Education or even IT.
- If you already have a bachelor degree other than a Bachelor of Education, in most cases you only need to complete an additional 12 month Graduate Diploma (some Unis offer a 9 month accelerated program) to gain eligibility to become a teacher. That is all one needs to begin a career in teaching. However the 12 month post grad diploma as a path to teaching, is changing in 1-2 years…please check with the university of your choice exactly what these changes are.
- Starting salaries of new teachers are amongst the highest among the graduate profession ( ranging between AUD$50K-56K ). Teacher salaries are typically higher than the average Australian weekly earnings and a beginning teacher’s salary is above the average salary for new grads. NSW teachers are among the best paid teachers in Australia. Check it out here.
- Teaching is among the most important and rewarding professions. You may have only heard of the frustrations and stress that teachers face. Whilst all that is true, it might be helpful to keep in mind teaching is a labour of love. A teacher shapes the future of the nation by the attitudes, beliefs and values he/ she instills in his/ her students. Contrary to popular belief, it is not a dead end career….. consider these people:-
- Famous former teachers: John Brumby, Steve Bracks ( former VIC Premiers ), STING, Gene Simmons ( KIZZ), Alexander Graham Bell ( telephone inventor), Lyndon Johnson ( US President 1967 )
Advantages of teaching you may not be aware of:
- As a teacher you will typically enjoy 3 month holidays a year. For some, this is an excellent opportunity to pursue other side interest which are probably best not pursued as a main source of income Eg Music, drama,dance, art , sports etc etc. In some cases, you may be interested in taking on a substitute teacher role, the flexibility allows you to pursue other activities where income stream is not as certain as teaching.
- As well, with the advent of online business, it is possible to run a viable internet based business whilst holding a day job as a teacher so long as there are no conflict of interests
- Not interested in teaching at a public school ? Conditions differ at Catholic schools or Private schools
- Not interested in naughty under 12 s? Consider secondary school teaching
- Not interested in teaching rebellious teens ? Consider early education or Primary suits you better ?
- How about working at private schools ?
Universities offering Education, teacher training courses :
New South Wales : NSW
- >> Already a grad but like to become a teacher in NSW ?
- >> Teach in NSW
- General Education courses at Charles Sturt University : CSU
- Education courses at Macquarie University in Sydney
- NOTE: The Graduate Diploma program in Education at Macquarie will not be offered after 2013 ends. It’s replacement is the 2 year full-time Bachelor of Education (Secondary). More info about this new program will be available later.
- Study at Uni of Sydney to qualify as a teacher
- Bachelor of Education at Univ of New England : UNE
- Master of Teaching at USyd (suits applicants who already have a bachelor degree and seek teaching qualifications )
- Education degree, courses at University of Technology, Sydney : UTS
- Education qualifications @ University of Western Sydney : UWS
- Education at University of Wollongong : UOW
- Education at Southern Cross Uni : SCU
- Education degrees : Univ of Newcastle
- Education at University of New South Wales : UNSW
- Education courses at Australian Catholic Univ ACU
Victoria : VIC
- >> Becoming a teacher in Victoria
- Teacher training at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology: RMIT
- Education at University of Melbourne
- Education at La Trobe University
- Education degree at Monash University
- Education at University of Ballarat
- Bach of Education at Deakin University
- Teacher training courses at Victoria University
Queensland : QLD
- >> Becoming a teacher in Queensland
- Education at James Cook University: JCU
- Graduate Diploma in Education at University of Queensland: UQ
- University of Southern Queensland: USQ
- University of the Sunshine Coast: USC : Education
- Education degree at Griffith university
- Education course at Australian Catholic University: ACU
- Queensland University of Technology : QUT
Western Australia : WA
- >> Teaching in Western Australia
- Education degree : Curtin University of Technology
- Edith Cowan University: ECU
- Education degree at Murdoch University
- Education degree courses at University of Western Australia : UWA in Perth
Tasmania : TAS
South Australia : SA
- >>Teaching in South Australia
- Education degree at Flinders University
- Education at University of Adelaide
- University of South Australia : UNISA
Northern Territory : NT
Other universities in Australia offering Teaching, Education :
- Australian Catholic University
- University of Notre Dame Australia: Freemantle
- University of Notre Dame: Broome
- University of Notre Dame Australia: Sydney
- Open Universities ( Distance learning programs available )